Why am I so grumpy?

Why am I so grumpy? On the face of it I have no real need to be grumpy. I have a job, a lovely girlfriend, great parents and good set of friends but the slightest thing still makes me grumpy, miserable and frustrated.

Monday 13 September 2010

Simplicity is good

Being concise is fantastic. From the title of this post, you can instantly see that being straightforward is something I admire. This largely originates from people (mainly marketers) favouring elaborate descriptions over saying it as it is.

I have 2 examples:

1. Menus:

Take any gastro pub and you’ll find ‘pan-fried’ something or other and some kind of extravagant fillet of a never-before-heard breed of cow. This is over-complication at its worst. It's just poncy people trying to justify charging a premium. How else do you want your chicken fried if not in a pan? I can’t remember the last time the chef cooked it in the palm of his hand, or put it on the hot tap and hoped it cooked. Just call it fried chicken. The fancy beef is just fillet steak. Simple. I like fillet steak.

Chicken. Frying. In a pan (unsurprisingly)


2. Shampoo

This is something that frustrates me immensely. All of the brands do it. There is always some new ‘nourishing eco-complex multi-regenerational liquid moisturising’ agent that has been added. What’s more it has been given an approval rating by 78% of women. Or has it? Take a look at the small print and they asked 87 women. I’m not statistician but I’m sure that’s not a representative survey.

I’m sure someone at L’Oreal, P&G or wherever has worked bloody hard to make the new ingredient, but at the end of the day IT’S SHAMPOO!!!! It’s going to be pretty similar to the other shampoos that people have been using for the last 25 years,  it just might smell a bit different.


1.      

1

No comments:

Post a Comment